HSSC Tour of the San Gabriel Mission and La Casa de Lopez de Lowther Adobe
Saturday, June 10, 2017
Come tour two sites in San Gabriel’s historic mission district. The HSSC will tour both the San Gabriel Mission and the La Casa de Lopez de Lowther Adobe.
The San Gabriel Mission, named for the Archangel Gabriel, was founded in 1771 by Spanish Franciscan missionaries and remains one of the best preserved missions in California. The Mission’s historic church, constructed in 1805, is the oldest functioning Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The San Gabriel Mission continues to serve as a parish church for the City of San Gabriel. Since 1908, the Claretian Missionaries have overseen the care and maintenance of the mission’s historic grounds and museum collection.
Built in the early 1800s, La Casa de Lopez de Lowther was part of the San Gabriel Mission complex, situated near the northwest courtyard area. Juan Lopez moved into the house in 1849, and members of his family occupied the home until 1964. Today, La Casa de Lopez de Lowther is closed to the public and serves in a limited role for parish-related functions.
John Macias, History Instructor at Cerritos College and San Gabriel Mission Board chair, and Kim Walters, mission museum curator, will lead a tour of the San Gabriel Mission site. The tour will include information about the mission itself, the museum collection, and preservation work. The group will then tour the Lopez Adobe, which is only open for private tours.
The mission is located at 428 S Mission Dr, San Gabriel, CA 91776.
A number of local options are available for lunch after the tour.
Tour registration is $15 for members of the HSSC and $25 for non-members. HSSC members should email email@example.com for the discount code. Go to https://hssctourjun10.eventbrite.com to register. The tour is limited to 25.