With the exception of the two article awards which will be given in alternating years, and the Fellows Award, the awards for HSSC have been suspended as the organization focuses on supporting the publication of the Southern California Quarterly.
Awards for Articles:
- The Doyce B. Nunis, Jr. Award is given for the best demonstration of scholarship in the Southern California Quarterly by a rising historian. (From 2018, awarded in odd numbered years)
- The Francis M. Wheat Award is given for the best demonstration of scholarship in the Southern California Quarterly by an established historian. (From 2018, awarded in even numbered years)
Awards for Books:
- The Norman Neuerburg Award is presented to the author with the best book on California history that emphasizes the nineteenth century or earlier.
- The Martin Ridge Award is presented to the author with the best book on California history that emphasizes the twentieth century onward.
- The Donald H. Pflueger Local History Award honors an outstanding scholarly book or project (print or electronic) on Southern California local history.
Awards for Teaching and Community Service:
- The Joseph O’Flaherty Teaching Award celebrates creative excellence in the teaching of history in grades K-12 in the schools of Los Angeles.
- The Denise and Jack Smith Community Enrichment Award honors an individual who has enriched the community of Los Angeles by their dedicated service and accomplishments.
- The Fellows Award medallion honor exceptional lifetime achievements that have brought distinction to history.