HSSC Request for Proposals for Book Publication Funding
Thanks to a generous grant from the Ahmanson Foundation, the Historical Society of Southern California (HSSC) is seeking applications for funds to assist in the publication of books on the history of Southern California, California, or the American West. Authors/editors who lack other sources of publication support are especially encouraged to apply. The Society seeks projects that demonstrate originality of conception and analysis, depth of research, and clarity of expression.
The manuscript should already be at some stage of the publication process, with a publication date anticipated within two years. Grants will be awarded up to $5,000.
Costs the Society will consider covering include:
- permissions to use images, text, or other materials
- reproduction of images
- creation of maps, tables or other images, or similar design work
- cover design
- indexing or line editing
- marketing expenses
- subvention fees or self-publishing expenses
- other expenses for authors who are self-publishing
The application should include:
- a cover letter with contact information for the applicant(s), and a list of three references with contact information for each reference
- a 500-word description of the book
- a table of contents
- a statement describing how the book contributes to our understanding of the history of Southern California, California, and/or the American West
- a description of the intended audience
- the current state of the manuscript and timetable for publication
- whether or not the book is under contract (and, if so, with which press), or whether the book will be self-published
- cv(s) of author(s)/editor(s), including list of previous publications or scholarship
- budget and/or description of expenses already incurred
- information regarding sources and amounts of other publication support
Contact Publishing Committee Chair Ken Marcus at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2019, to email@example.com. The Society anticipates making awards by early June.