HSSC Award Application Deadline Reminder
Applications Due August 11, 2016
Each year, the HSSC presents up to eight awards which honor books and articles about California history as well as excellence in teaching and community service. The awards include:
Awards for Articles:
- The Doyce B. Nunis, Jr. Award is given for the best demonstration of scholarship in the Southern California Quarterly by a rising historian.
- The Carl I. Wheat and Frank Wheat Award is given for the best demonstration of scholarship in the Southern California Quarterly by an established historian.
Awards for Books:
- The Norman Neuerburg Award is presented to the author with the best book on California history since 1848.
- The Martin Ridge Award is presented to the author with the best book on California history to 1848.
- The Donald H. Pflueger Local History Award honors an outstanding scholarly book or project (print or electronic) on Southern California local history.
Awards for Teaching and Community Service:
- The Joseph O’Flaherty Teaching Award celebrates creative excellence in the teaching of history in grades K-12 in the schools of Los Angeles.
- The Denise and Jack Smith Community Enrichment Award recognizes men and women who have enriched the community of Los Angeles by their dedicated service and accomplishments.
- The Fellows Award medallion honor exceptional lifetime achievements that have brought distinction to history.
This year, an application/nomination process is available for each award, except the Nunis, Wheat, and Fellows Awards. The article prizes will be determined by the Board of Directors of the Southern California Quarterly. The Fellows Award will be determined by a committee.
The 2016 awards will honor work published or completed in 2015. The awards will be presented at the HSSC Annual Conference on January 21, 2017, at the University of La Verne.
Details about the application or nomination process for each award is available on the HSSC website: https://thehssc.org/hsscawards/
Submit your application or nomination to the HSSC by Thursday, August 11, 2016.